Bergheim, a superb village on the wine route, surrounded by its ramparts, is still relatively preserved from tourists. The city center has many beautiful winegrowers’ houses. From the top of the superbly preserved ramparts, you can admire the hillsides of the vineyard, overlooked by the Haut-Koenigsbourg castle.
The site seems to have been occupied since the Palaeolithic, then by the Romans. It is from this period that dates the first cultivation of the vine.
The village began its development after the construction of the first castle of Eguisheim in the 8th century by Count Eberhardt, grandson of the third Duke of Alsace. He is thus the ancestor of Pope Leo IX and the nephew of Sainte-Odile, patroness of Alsace.
According to legend, the locality was the property of Huna and Hunon, who bequeathed Hunawihr to the monastery of Saint-Dié in the 7th century.
The village subsequently belonged to the Counts of Horbourg and then Württemberg. Place of pilgrimage of Sainte Hune, the village attracts pilgrims, before becoming Protestant. Alsace became French, Catholics and Protestants share the church.
Legend has it that the city was founded by the giant Sletto. The first written record dates back to the 8th century, but the site was then part of the village of Kintzheim. The expansion of the city began in the 11th century, when Hildegarde de Buren, mother of the first of the Hohenstaufen, founded a church there which was occupied from 1094 by monks from Conques, venerating Sainte Foy.
This priory runs the city until Frederick II of Hohenstaufen grants the status of free city to Sélestat.
The first mention of Riquewihr dates from 1094, the village was then a possession of the counts of Horbourg who built the first fortified enclosure in 1291. The village obtained city status in 1320. Riquewihr was sold in 1324 by the Counts of Horbourg to Ulrich X of Württemberg.
At the origin of Zellenberg, there was a small monastic establishment (Zell) installed here from the 10th century. In 1252 Walter de Horbourg built a castle at the top of the hill (Berg), and moved the village, then at the foot of the hill, to the top. From the 14th century the village became the possession of the Ribeaupierre family who kept it until the Revolution. The castle was destroyed in 1791.