According to legend, the locality was the property of Huna and Hunon, who bequeathed Hunawihr to the monastery of Saint-Dié in the 7th century.
Hunawihr – the fortified church around 1500 AD. JC.
Reproduction issue du Livre illustré : Villes fortifiées d’Alsace et châteaux de plaine de Guy Trendel (Auteur), Christophe Carmona (Illustrations)
Publisher: ID Publishing; Illustrated Edition (April 1, 2016)
Buy the book on Amazon
The village subsequently belonged to the Counts of Horbourg and then Württemberg. Place of pilgrimage of Sainte Hune, the village attracts pilgrims, before becoming Protestant. Alsace became French, Catholics and Protestants share the church.
Fortified Church of St Jacques le Majeur
The church and cemetery of Hunawihr are a very good example of a fortified church, which served as a refuge for the population in case of danger, the village of Hunawihr never having had ramparts. The church and the cemetery were built on an elevation and surrounded by ramparts. The current church was built between the 14th and 16th centuries.
The wine-growing village of Hunawihr has the Grand Cru Rosacker area, the 14th century church and its fortified cemetery, the Stork and Otter Reintroduction Center and the Exotic Butterfly Garden.
Classified among the Most Beautiful Villages of France, Hunawihr has half-timbered houses dating mainly from the 16th century and are mostly without corbelling.