Ribeauvillé – Sunday, September 4, 2022
The Feast of the Minstrels
Theme of the procession “The awakening of Odin”
The Fête des Ménétriers is the oldest festival in Alsace . It has managed to preserve the traditions, the costumes, the colors and the notoriety that hundreds of musicians and troubadours gave it from the 14th century. They then went to Ribeauvillé to celebrate their links with the lords of Ribeaupierre who protected them.
Each year, nearly 1,500 extras are involved in the manufacture of floats (theme renewed each year) to parade through the old town every first Sunday of September. A real popular festival, it brings together more than thousands of spectators each year.
Many activities are offered throughout the weekend, including: medieval market, musical and street entertainment, public ball and snacks on Saturday evening.
PROGRAM & ENTERTAINMENT
the Saturday :
• 10 am to 8 pm: medieval market in the courtyard of the former girls’ school.
• from 2 p.m. to 7 p.m.: street entertainment (walks, sketches, medieval dances, giant chessboard)
• from 7 p.m.: public ball and catering (marquee of the Ribeauvillé town garden)
• at 8.30 pm: torchlight procession with the participation of musical groups (which will also animate the procession on Sunday) → Route: departure from the Place de la République to the town garden of Ribeauvillé. Lanterns are distributed to participating children.
on Sunday :
• at 9 a.m.: awakening by the Minstrels of Harmony Vogesia from the Tour des Bouchers
• at 10 a.m.: musical entertainment in the Grand’rue and in all the squares by different musical groups taking part in the procession
• 10 a.m. to 7 p.m.: medieval market in the courtyard of the former girls’ school
• before the procession: street entertainment by medieval groups
• at 2.30 pm: procession of musicians, floats, jugglers, jugglers and other fire-eaters… (a thousand extras dressed in faithfully reconstructed medieval costumes take part in the procession).
• after the procession: free wine tasting at the fountain in the Town Hall Square (offered by the Syndicat viticole de Ribeauvillé)
• from around 7 p.m. (after the procession): public ball (Ribeauvillé city garden)
• at 8 pm: proclamation of the results of the competition concerning the floats which took part in the procession.
- Adult (+12 years): 8€
- Child (6 to 12 years old): 4€
- Child (- 6 years old): Free
- Groups from 20 people: €7 (note: tickets available only in advance from the Festival Committee until the Friday preceding the event)
Good to know !
- Admission is payable only on Sunday (day of the procession).
- Entrance tickets do not entitle you to a seat in the grandstand.
- The Festival Committee invites the inhabitants of Ribeauvillé, who must have an identity document, to use the following accesses as a priority to access the event on Sunday: – Rue des Cigognes – Rue du Pont de la Couronne
Some images of the Minstrels’ parties from past years…